Staphylococcal bacteriophage is a bacterial virus that can destroy only staphylococcal strains.
It is believed that in one second the bacteriophage is able to infect about 10²³ of bacterial cells. Especially they work well for bacteria, which have a dense polysaccharide cell membrane, through which it is difficult for antibiotics to penetrate. In such cases, phage therapy has an advantage over antibiotic treatment.
On this page you will find all the information about Staphylococcal bacteriophage: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Staphylococcal bacteriophage. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much does Staphylococcus bacteriophage cost? The average price in pharmacies is 750 rubles.
Release form and composition
This drug is available in the following forms and formulations:
- In liquid form vials of 100,50,20 milliliters and 25 ml aerosols.
- In the form of ointments, 10 and 20 grams.
- In the candlelight (10 pieces in one package).
This preparation is a product in liquid form of a bacterial culture and is a combination of particles of bacteria cells and a special nutrient medium that contains bacteriophage particles. This product is active in relation to the following staphylococci (golden, epidermal, saprophytic).
Staphylococcal bacteriophage is a drug that in a certain way affects the staphylococci of the most common strains. When combined with the bacterium dissolves it, and removes the remnants of decay from the body.
It is an antibacterial drug of immunobiological effects and is prescribed for the treatment of infectious diseases caused by staphylococci. A wide range of action on pathogenic strains gives effective results in complex treatment. Does not affect the beneficial bacteria in the human body.
Indications for use
Staphylococcal bacteriophage is used to treat:
- generalized sepsis and peritonitis;
- other diseases arising from the spread of staphylococcus;
- surgical infectious diseases (wounds with discharge of pus, burns with associated infection, hydrodenitis, pandactylitis, mastitis, paratrakit and others);
- pathology of the urogenital system (almost all diseases of the urinary and genital systems);
- gastroenteric pathology (inflammation of the mucous membrane, dysbacteriosis and others);
- diseases of the upper respiratory tract and bronchopulmonary system; these include various types of sinusitis, rhinitis, acute and chronic tonsillitis, otitis media, pharyngolaryngitis, tracheobronchitis, pneumonia and pleurisy);
- as a preventive measure for fresh infected wounds (after operations in the abdominal and thoracic cavities);
- as prevention of nosocomial infections.
It is very important for effective phage therapy to preliminarily determine the pathogen sensitivity of the pathogen; this is sensitivity to staphylococcal bacteriophage strains selected from the patient.
Advantages over antibiotics
Bacteriophage is characterized by antibacterial action. He also has drugs antibiotics. Medications by several criteria differ from each other. Judging by the reviews, the bacteriophage has indisputable advantages that allow you to make a choice in favor of him, and not antibiotics.
These advantages are as follows:
- may be prescribed for the purpose of prevention;
- allowed for people of any age, even for babies;
- not prohibited for pregnant and lactating women;
- do not have contraindications;
- effective against microorganisms that are insensitive to antibiotics;
- may be used with all other medications, including antibiotics;
- does not inhibit human immunity;
- does not lead to the development of phage-resistant cultures;
- do not destroy the beneficial bacterial microflora;
- do not lead to addiction;
- possesses immunomodulatory effects.
According to the instructions, Staphylococcus bacteriophage is contraindicated in case of hypersensitivity or intolerance to the components of the drug.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
The absence of serious contraindications and side effects allowed the use of the Antistaphylococcal Bacteriophage in the treatment of infections in pregnant women. Important condition - therapy should be prescribed only by a doctor and be under his control. In addition, this type of bacteriophage is also prescribed only if the expectant mother has an infection caused by staphylococci.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that Staphylococcus bacteriophage is intended for local, rectal and oral administration. Before use, shake the bottle; if there is a visible sediment or change in transparency, the solution should not be used. To achieve the maximum therapeutic effect, treatment should begin as soon as possible after the onset of symptoms. The duration of therapy, the pattern of use of the drug and the dose determined by the doctor.
Recommended single doses for patients of different age groups:
- Adults and children over 8 years old are recommended to prescribe 30 ml of oral staphylococcal bacteriophage and 50 ml of the drug for rectal use;
- Children 3-8 years old rectally, as a rule, prescribe 40 ml of bacteriophage, orally - 20 ml of the drug;
- Children 1-3 years old, rectally, as a rule, prescribe 30 ml of bacteriophage, orally - 15 ml of the drug;
- For children 6-12 months old, rectally, as a rule, 20 ml of bacteriophage are prescribed, 10 ml of the drug by mouth;
- Children under 6 months of age are usually prescribed rectally, 10 ml of bacteriophage, orally, 5 ml of the drug. The first doses of the drug should be administered in the form of high enemas, if there is no development of regurgitation, digestive disorders and other undesirable effects, the bacteriophage can be administered orally or orally and rectally.
The average duration of therapy is from 7 to 20 days. In case of recurrent forms of diseases, several courses of Staphylococcal bacteriophage preparation per year can be prescribed.
Locally, the drug is used depending on the location of the infection:
- In surgical practice, the solution is used in the form of washes, irrigations, plugging, as well as for introduction into drained or confined cavities;
- In gynecological practice, the drug is used in the form of irrigations, applications and tampons moistened with a solution;
- In otolaryngological practice, the solution is used for washing, irrigation, wetting sterile turunds, as well as nasal and ear drops;
- Introduction to the articular, pleural and other limited cavities, including the drained cavity of the bladder and the renal pelvis, through capillary drainage, nephrostoma or cystostomy;
- For intestinal diseases, rectal administration of a bacteriophage is prescribed (in combination with ingestion).
It should be taken into account that if treatment with chemical antiseptics was carried out before local use of the Staphylococcal bacteriophage preparation, then before using the bacteriophage, wash the skin area with isotonic sodium chloride solution.
During the study of the drug have not been established side effects from its use. Judging by the reviews, they are noted only with intracutaneous administration. There may be inflammation and hyperemia, but they are short-lived.
Symptoms in the case of bacteriophage overdose have also not been studied, so the instructions for use of the drug are also not described.
When opening the bottle, storage and selection of funds should observe the following rules:
- Wash hands thoroughly;
- Before removing the cap must be treated with an alcoholic solution;
- The cap should be removed without removing the cap;
- The drug from the opened vial should be removed only by puncturing the cork with a sterile syringe;
- If during the opening, together with the cap, a cork was uncapped accidentally, then it should not be placed on the inner surface of the table, and the vial should not be left open (after withdrawing the agent, close it with a cork);
- The opened bottle is recommended to be stored in the refrigerator.
Subject to compliance with these rules and in the absence of turbidity, the tool from the opened bottle is allowed to use throughout the shelf life.
The use of the drug is possible in combination with other drugs, including antibiotics.
Reviews of Staphylococcus bacteriophage are mostly positive. Patients confirm the high efficacy of the drug in the fight against diseases caused by staphylococci, and consider it a worthy and safer alternative to antibiotics. However, there are some reviews, which indicate that the bacteriophage was ineffective and even caused side effects (diarrhea, fever), although the instructions indicated a very good tolerability of the drug and the absence of unwanted reactions.
The disadvantages of almost all patients include the high cost of the Staphylococcus bacteriophage and its unpleasant taste, as well as the inconvenience of storage (in the refrigerator) and use (the need to collect solution with a sterile syringe to observe asepsis).
Staphylococcal bacteriophage has a number of drugs that are similar to it in principle of action, i.e. also having an antibacterial effect against certain pathogens. These include:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Storage at a temperature of 2 to 8 ° C in a dark place and out of reach of children. Transportation at a temperature of from 2 to 8 ° C, transportation is allowed at a temperature of from 9 to 25 ° C no more than 1 month.
Shelf life 2 years. The drug expired use is not subject to.